Feeling stuck with your writing? Need some writing prompts? Here are some that I use to keep me writing. Some of these are good for starting off and others are good for continuing something that's already started.
- Write the one thing you absolutely know you should not write about.
- Write exactly what is going on in your head, verbatim until you find something you can start riffing on.
- Write about the day after your death.
- Write about a day-in-the-life of a child you had 10 years ago.
- Write out the description of your favorite celebrity's funeral (including your role in it, or not)
- Write a list of people you want to meet and the main idea of what you would want to say to them.
- Describe one of those meetings or more in detail.
- Write the thing you absolutely think is the wrong thing to write at this point.
- Write a day in your life (like a diary entry or a narrative) when you're 70.
- Write your thought process during your birth.
- Write the inner thoughts of a celebrity at her or his birth.
- Write the conversation you would have with yourself when you were eight years old.
- Write about the things you would want to tell your great grand parents - stuff about their sons and daughters, stuff about how their choices impacted you, stuff about the world today.
- Write a conversation between two people who are diametrically opposed on some social justice issue that you're passionate about.
- Write the next scene or a missing scene from a favorite film or novel or of history that you want to see come to life.
- Write nonsense.
Pick one and see how far it takes you. Maybe it takes you all the way into a project. Maybe it stops after a few sentences. Don't worry about feeling discouraged. Just pick up and write - you will feel better once you do.
For more about writer's block, look up my post about it on this site.